If you’ve decided to pursue a career as a security guard, let us congratulate you for making a noble choice. Officers who serve and protect the public are always on demand. This job is becoming more popular due to the increase in crime attempts worldwide. Although this is an unfortunate circumstance, it grants you a job position almost anywhere you go. Until recently, almost anyone could have become a security guard without any qualifications or preparations. However, security guards today need to complete different types of training depending on the kind of service they wish to do.
In general, there is no universal training that you can complete and work in several different facilities. Also, security guard training types may vary from state to state, so you should always consult an agency before signing up for a training program. You may want to offer security guard patrol services, in which case you’ll have to complete a proper training course. Nonetheless, if you’re planning on carrying a weapon while performing duties, you’ll have to sign up for armed security guard training. Typically, there are three types of training for security guards:
Basic security guard training
During this course, you will learn the basics of security and safety procedures and the essential responsibilities, duties, and security personnel tasks.
You may choose from several basic security guard training listed below:
- The hospital security course educates trainees about customer and patient service, traffic and access control, first aid, and the hospital emergency response. It usually lasts two days.
- X-ray screening course should be your choice if you want to become an airport security guard. You will learn how to operate and inspect the X-ray machine. Additionally, you will cover topics such as aviation hazards, protection of aircraft, intervention procedures. These are all related to airport safety.
- The special event security course will teach you several strategies for handling significant events, crowd control, and operational skills. This course lasts between one and three days.
- Cash in transit courses (also referred to as CIT training) will prepare you for escorting cash and other valuable items. They may also include armed security guard training.
- Bank security courses will provide you with skills to protect individuals, bank information, and assets. Banks are especially vulnerable as criminals and thieves often target them.
- Hotel security courses include different training techniques. After completing them successfully, you’ll be ready to protect hotels from external and internal threats.
- Sport facility management courses typically last longer (up to two weeks). The goal of these courses is to teach you to protect people at sporting events.
- Security manager training typically targets managerial roles, federal criminal law, and site regulation. The course lasts around five days, but no longer than a week.
- Security supervisor training is usually offered to security guards who are to be promoted as supervisors. It teaches management, leadership, official and legal documentation, and preparing reports. It usually lasts for a week.
General security guard training
This program offers many different courses, so you should choose the one that suits you most. After completing it, you will be awarded a certificate.
- Operation manager course,
- Self-defense and fitness training,
- Control room supervisor course,
- Control room CCTV operator course,
- Traffic management course,
- Courses for the port, gas, and oil facilities, and
- Operation room supervisor course.
Occupational Health and Safety courses
One of the most crucial security guard duties is workplace safety. Security staff should manage safety procedures and ensure that all employees comply with them.
Security guards can choose from different types of training if the individual or the company wants to participate in it:
- Infection prevention
- First aid
- Safety management
- Conflict resolution
- Fire prevention and safety evacuation
- Control of substances hazardous to health
- Health and safety at the workplace.
Before choosing the first security guard training you run into, we advise you to think about different types of security guards and apply for the proper one. That way, you’ll be able to perform your duties enthusiastically and contribute to the public’s safety (or the security of properties and assets). Our company has over fifty years of experience and is always striving to get better. If you need more information, please feel free to contact us.