The strategy and best practice of physical security depend on your business nature and the specifications of your property and premises. However, a variety of physical security strategies share numerous best practice qualities. Therefore, if you wonder what a good practice for physical security is, the security guard patrol has created a comprehensive article about the most effective security procedures and measures of physical security practice.
What is physical security?
Physical security involves the protection of properties, people, individuals, physical possessions, information, and other things for which the client can request protection. Protection refers to preventing theft, vandalism, and trespassing.
Different objects will require various different types of protection and security measures. Those might include: security officers, alarms, access control systems, or other security systems. Also, different security goals will demand different levels of protection. Those varieties of protection will engage diverse types of physical security.
Best practices for physical security
There are five security levels, these five include: minimum, low, medium, high, and maximum. The level of security goes higher and the safety of objects is greater, but also the complexity of the security process. That often requires more comprehensive procedures regarding security officers and the usage of more advanced security equipment.
Physical security is a part of a broader strategy; however, when we talk about what is a good practice for physical security, we consider perimeter security, access control, alarms, proper lighting, surveillance, and security testing. These security measures are convenient for monitoring facilities and securing surrounding outside areas, particularly if the property possesses additional premises and on-site parking.
Perimeter security is a physical barrier against intruders who attempted to force their way onto the property. Examples of this security type are gates, fences, reinforced glass, and garage doors.
Access control systems
Access control systems provide prevention of unauthorized access to your property. The principal difference between various access control systems is the type of credentials for gaining access. Physical access control measures include locks and keys, key fob systems, biometric readers, access cards, and intercom systems. In terms of access control, the most practical option is implementing ID access cards. This method is quite simple but very beneficial. Access cards provide an easy check of everyone who enters the property. Additionally, persons that don’t carry access cards are easy to notice as they stand out.
Other types of access control systems are automated systems, that allow you or other administrators to monitor the accesses on smartphones in real-time. Usually, these systems are cloud-based, which means that they are regularly updated and can provide reports at once.
Surveillance systems provide defense against intruders by detecting by-passers on the property. Surveillance system encompasses some type of CCTV, cameras for video surveillance, motion and smoke, and heat detection. A surveillance system can be operated by a security guard, staff member, or AI (artificial intelligence). Although video surveillance can not prevent crimes, when clearly stated that cameras exist on a property, potential offenders are usually discouraged. Besides video surveillance, the alternative and a more reliable solution is to hire a professional security guard who ticks all the boxes of the day and night patrolling security checklist.
Security testing refers to both security personnel and technology. That involves testing emergency plans, access points, points referring to data, resources, power systems, lockdown features, and other sensitive and critical points and aspects.
Exterior lighting is a way to secure property. Motion sensing lights and automated sensor lighting will detect and illuminate every person at night time. Light installations successfully discourage trespassers and potential criminals.
Alarms are the best way to alert guards, residents, employees, and visitors that an emergency situation has occurred. Alarm systems can also be programmed to inform authorities. Additionally, alarms have preventive abilities to deter intruders.
Benefits of hiring physical security services
Security became a fundamental need for most businesses, public events, and residential places.
The benefits of hiring professional physical security service are:
- With a professional security guard, you will get trained and informed officers capable of preventing and reacting to every incident and high-risk situation.
- Physical security service offices are trained in performing first aid (CPR and AED) and can provide medical help until paramedics arrive. Additionally, they are instructed on how to deal with various safety and health protocols in cases of natural disasters, earthquakes, fire, flood, and chemical hazards.
- Physical security systems promote a safe business environment for employees, guests, and clients. By providing a relaxing environment for business staff, employees can proceed with their work without disturbance, while clients and guests will feel more safe knowing that there is a presence of physical security. These properties that have security positively affect customer service. Additionally, physical security systems are a great way to protect properties and their premises and inventory from vandalism, damage, and theft.
- Securing the parking area and other remote property premises by monitoring, patrolling, and escorting people to their vehicles. Additionally, monitoring parking lots to maintain order, referring to proper parking and reserved parking spaces. It would help if you also considered proper lighting to ensure that parking areas are well-lit in case of any suspicious activities.
- Monitoring entering and exiting of people and keeping areas with restricted access for authorized only. Security guard equipment considers various devices and surveillance tools.
- Operating on security systems and maintaining their proper working.
- Physical security provides the protection of valuable information and sensitive data, software, company network, and hardware, although the role of physical security often overlooked in terms of cyber security. In this domain, the chief security officer’s role is to prevent data violations, telling identity, and malware. CSO has the important task of creating a safety protocol, security measures, and emergency management.
As we have noted what a good practice for physical security is and the many benefits it provides, it’s clear that only investing in security assets and combining them will guarantee safety and security. If you feel overwhelmed by managing physical security systems, feel free to contact us and entrust your security to our experienced team that will handle all your needs. Our agents will evaluate the security level you require and implement adequate measures.
Security patrol procedures: Dos and Don'ts
How many security guards per person do you need?
Can Security Guards Carry Guns?
Concierge vs Security Guard: Differences and Similarities
How to secure your apartment from burglary: A comprehensive guide
Corporate Building Security: Keeping Your Employees and Property Safe
What can security guards do legally?
11 security threats manned guarding can help you overcome
The importance of security post orders
Types of security guards: How to choose the right one
How to get the most out of hospital security systems
What is a good practice for physical security?
Do you need construction security services in Florida?
5 Reasons To Hire Lobby Security
Mobile patrol security officer: What they do and why you may need one